Filmmaking is an ever-changing art, not only in the process but also with the technology, the viewers and within every aspect of what makes a movie “great”. As I pressured myself to follow a strict schedule I had to adjust to make everything work. My strong suit is planning and I played it well. I adjusted for projects to fail (such as working with the host of the cooking show’s daughter). I had to compete with ever-changing schedules with one other person in order to create the presidential ad. When it came to the music video I had to work around using the space necessary. Every film has its hitch and every film has something that you really take away from it.
When I set out to create the projects I wanted a diverse range of material, from ads to instructional to the music video I showed that I can work within any spectrum of film. The ultimate goal of having footage for a demo reel has been reached because I can confidently show my final works and let people know that this is where I am at my current level of skill. I look back 3 years and see how far I’ve come and how much I’ve produced. Shooting these last final films within their time limits gave me confidence that I can work on any project. If I can manage to pull these off by myself I can only imagine how well I will function in a crew. This final summation of self-skill has been exactly what I needed to get in order. Onward with life!
Meeting tomorrow to shoot. I’ve been watching several videos and want to keep it to a simple format. Simplicity has been the key to these projects. I already spent time making graphics as seen in the previous post so now I’m looking at getting the actual talent, getting several shots and making sure that everything is what I need it to be. If the “interview” goes well I should be able to accomplish the shoot in one day.
- Have a plan for the zombie invasion
- Campaign to eliminate midgetry
- Replace the pledge of allegiance with a tribute to Adele.
- Take a stand against vitamin infused water.
- Team Jacob
I know that the candidates are already bad enough but I wanted to farce them even more. What qualities do you look for in your ideal presidential candidate?
Just like that an idea comes in and replaces the other idea. I’m still working on the thing for my senior project but I was thinking of what can expand my demo reel and what would be useful to future employers. I came upon the idea of making a commercial which then evolved into a political ad campaign. I’ve already lined up a friend to play the role and the point of it will be to be as realistic as possible as to seem absurd when the candidate is talking about his views. As said above, it’s already bad enough out there in this presidential race, one more terrible candidate couldn’t hurt.
Currently my thoughts linger on using these three weeks towards my senior project. I am doing an installation piece that is about the youtube generation and focuses on attention span. Did you know that ten years ago the average attention span was 12 minutes? Now it’s down to 5. In another ten years that will be two minutes. My project proposes what happens when the attention span goes down to ten seconds. At the gallery I am going to set up a wall that looks like a mock-up of youtube and a web page browser but where the video would normally play is a screen and on that screen is my work. I have already taken several ten-second clips from all of my previous work, all at the height of action to make cliffhangers. This way we can’t focus on any particular scene because by the time you realize what is happening it’s on to the next scene. I’d like to double what I have to come to a loop of at least seven minutes. For that I need to create 21 new ten-second cliffhanger clips. The only problem I’m having with it is making it feel cohesive with my independent project. For my four projects I wanted to do different things, so far I have a how-to, a music video and I was looking at possibly an experimental or mini-doc or narrative for the last two. I’m just wondering if an experimental one like this would fit in. I have been working on a lot of ideas for these ten second shorts but I really need to come up with an idea for what to do next unless that would be the best option. The only problem I have is making the experimental cohesive. It works for the installation but if I could figure out a way to make it stand on it’s own that’s what I need to do. I think I’ve just answered my own question. Now to go form some cohesion!
I feel like it went extremely well. We had to cut out one of the recipes but as far as I can tell from just looking at the footage everything seems to have turned out. I shot 22 gigs of footage which translates to about 2 hours worth of footage. The goal time would be to condense that down to about 7-10 minutes. I have a gig of audio which translates out to 3 hours worth of audio so I figured it was about time to get Pluraleyes to sync up my audio and video without having to worry. So far it seems to be going swimmingly because while it’s syncing I’m taking time to write this entry. I came across the first problem with my rig. It picks up the camera sound of clicking when changing exposure and just sounds in general of moving around. As long as I’m not moving too much or changing the zoom length I don’t have problems with sound but I might need to look into finding a way to quiet it down; I’m eager to see if it’s as pervasive as it may seem.